All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first complete study of a little kwn Muslim presence in Europe. Since 9/11, the interest in Muslims in Europe has increased significantly. There has been much public debate and academic research focused on Muslims living in larger Western European countries like Britain, France or Germany, but little is kwn of Muslims in Ireland. This book fills the gap, providing a complete study of this unexplored Muslim presence, from the arrival of the first Muslim resident in Cork, in the southwest of Ireland, in 1784 until mass immigration to the Republic of Ireland during the 'Celtic Tiger' period from the mid 1990s onwards. Muslim immigration and settlement in Ireland is very recent, and poses new challenges to a society that has perceived itself as religiously and culturally homogeneous. Ireland is also one of the least secular societies in Europe, providing a different context for Muslims seeking recognition by state and society. This book is essential for anyone who wants to understand the diversity of Muslim presences across Europe. It makes an important and original contribution to understanding the diversity of Muslim presences in different national contexts across Europe; combines historical, sociological and ethgraphic research methods to provide a rich and multi faceted study of the Muslim presence in Ireland in its historical and contemporary dimensions; provides insights into the dynamics of interaction between Muslims and state and society in one of the least secular societies in Europe and illustrates the central role European networks of the Muslim Brotherhood have played in organising and representing Muslim communities in Europe, with Ireland being a prime example.
- Author BiographyOliver Scharbrodt is Professor of Islamic Studies at the University of Chester. Tuula Sakaranaho is Professor of Study of Religions at the University of Helsinki. Adil Hussain Khan is Assistant Professor of Islamic Studies at Loyola University, New Orleans. Yafa Shanneik is Research Fellow at the Study of Religions Department, University College Cork. Vivian Ibrahim is Croft Assistant Professor of History and International Studies at the University of Mississippi.
- Author(s)Adil Khan,Oliver Scharbrodt,Tuula Sakaranaho,Vivian Ibrahim,Yafa Shanneik
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note16 b&w illustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.