Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $53.86Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $67.43+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCharles Olson's insistence that the public value of any articulation is inseparable from the particulars of the time and place of its origins resulted in the proprioceptive methodology of his composition--in his speech and his writing, in both poetry and prose. Olson did t lecture --he talked. His encyclopedic kwledge of the subjects that interested him engaged in a manner always as surprising to himself as to his listeners. This element of discovery was to him a true measure of what is authentic in language, and it exhibits itself most in the impromptu exchanges of which Muthologos is mainly composed. Olson once de?ned Muthologos as what is said about what is said, which encompasses a breadth of discourse that would de?ne the near and far range of where the poet's mind went in a lifetime's intent to go places. In this new compilation of Charles Olson's transcribed lectures and interviews, we ?nally get all of what is preserved of a life of talk, allowing Muthologos to stand, along with The Maximus Poems, Collected Poems, Collected Prose and Selected Letters as one of the standard texts of this great poet's oeuvre. Ralph Maud's second edition of Muthologos, some thirty years after George Butterick's ?rst, adds several new items: At Goddard College, April 1962 ; a second Vancouver 1963 discussion, Duende, Muse, and Angel ; a short addition to the BBC Interview ; a second On Black Mountain ; and a further hour of Olson's conversation with Herb Kenny. In addition, all the available tapes of these talks and interviews have been listened to again, and many of their previous transcription errors have been corrected. Textual tes to each piece identify these corrections, and also reveal the provenance of the tapes and the particular way in which each transcription was created.
- Author BiographyCharles Olson Charles Olson's first two books, Call Me Ishmael (1947), a study of Melville's Moby Dick, and The Mayan Letters (1953), written to Robert Creeley from Mexico, cover a range of subjects--mythology, anthropology, language, and cultural history--and use the fervent informal style that were to distinguish all his discursive prose. Settling in Gloucester, Massachusetts, he devoted most of his time and energy until his death in 1970 to The Maximus Poems, his most substantial work. Ralph Maud Ralph Maud is the author of Charles Olson Reading (1996) and the editor of The Selected Letters of Charles Olson (2000.) He has edited much of Dylan Thomas's work, including The Notebook Poems 1930--1934 and The Broadcasts, and is co-editor, with Walford Davies, of Dylan Thomas: The Collected Poems, 1934--1953 and Under Milk Wood. Maud is also the editor of The Salish People: Volumes I, II, III & IV by pioneer ethnographer Charles Hill-Tout. In addition, he has done extensive work on the translation collaboration between Henry W. Tate and Franz Boas, including the book, Transmission Difficulties: Franz Boas and Tsimshian Mythology.
- Author(s)Charles Olson
- PublisherTalon Books,Canada
- Date of Publication28/10/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTalon Books,Canada
- Weight714 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byRalph Maud
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.