All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMy Autism Book is a beautifully illustrated picture book that helps parents to explain an autism diagsis to their child in a sensitive, positive and accurate way. When a child is diagsed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), parents often feel overwhelmed and uncertain about how to communicate the diagsis to their child. This book is designed to be read with the child as a simple introduction to their diagsis. Written by a doctor and a children's author, the book is tailored precisely to the needs and experiences of the child with ASD aged 5 and up. It explains what an autism diagsis means and encourages an exploration of the child's likely strengths and differences using clear language that speaks directly to the child. The colourful pictures throughout show how the world looks from the child's perspective and the book ends with a summary checklist to encourage the child to record and discuss how autism affects them.
- Author BiographyDr Gloria Dura-Vila is a consultant child and adolescent psychiatrist working in the Surrey and Borders NHS Trust with a main clinical interest in Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). She is experienced in assessing, diagnosing and treating children and young people with ASD, and she works closely with parents and educational and social services. She is passionate about the importance of communicating the ASD diagnosis to parents and to the child in the best possible way. She is an Honorary Lecturer at University College London, Department of Mental Health Sciences. Tamar Levi has studied child psychology and worked with students with a range of disabilities including ASD. She has illustrated numerous children's books including The If Machine, The If Odyssey and The Philosophy Shop and she guest lectures on how picture books can be used as tools in schools and at home to effectively share complicated ideas or sensitive information with children.
- Author(s)Gloria Dura-Vila,Tamar Levi
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication28/12/2013
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Note38 colour
- Weight344 g
- Width210 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Illustrator(s)Tamar Levi
- Interest AgeFrom 5
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.