All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDerek Amato's reflections in My Beautiful Disaster provide rare insight into what people with extraordinary gifts see, think, feel and do; pose questions about the potential to tap into previously undetected abilities and spotlight the 'silent epidemic' of head trauma. His experiences also make vivid some the challenges faced by those living with autism and other neurological disorders and hint at the possibility we all have more in common than we think. Readers enchanted by autistic savant, Daniel Tammet's eloquent Born On A Blue Day, will welcome ather multi-layered, first person account of what is to live with a remarkable condition. Uniquely, having spent his life as a neurotypical Amato's tale relates the before and after of 'the gift'; his voice at times resonating with incredulity at what has happened and what the eventual cost may be.
- Author BiographyDerek resides in Colorado with his three children, Alex, Sydney, and Morgan. He is an avid fly fisherman, and advocates for several charitable organizations throughout the country. After suffering a head trauma from a diving accident in 2006, Derek was diagnosed with acquired musical savant syndrome, and shortly after diagnosed with yet another rare condition referred to as synesthesia. Derek's sudden ability to play the piano validates the ultimate medical question, is it in all of us. ? Derek Amato's reflections in My Beautiful Disaster provide rare insight into what people with extraordinary gifts see, think, feel and do; pose questions about the potential to tap into previously undetected abilities and spotlight the 'silent epidemic' of head trauma. Amato is an everyman, not a neuroscientist, but his mid-life miracle has the potential to be fundamentally more impactful in terms of the evaluation of the brain's potential than many of the most adroit scientific theories.
- Author(s)Derek S Amato
- Date of Publication01/01/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: The Arts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.