Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
About this product
- DescriptionHeralding a return to the stage for rewned dramatist Stephen Poliakoff, My City is a lyrical exploration of storytelling, interwoven personal and political histories, memory and the ties of the past. Beautifully atmospheric and infused with a sense of yearning stalgia, the play presents a series of strange, seemingly coincidental encounters with others which evoke momentous trends in the city they live in and the shifts of society throughout history. Two former school friends are reunited with their erstwhile teacher, the glamorous, gracious Miss Lambert who is w engaged in nightly pilgrimages on foot across London as an antidote to her chronic insomnia. In the course of these cturnal journeys, she witnesses a paradigmatic range of incidents reflecting today's society: the kindness and the violence, the glut of discarded rubbish and the sanctity of that which is carefully preserved, as well as the ghostly vestiges of the past. My City contains all the hallmarks of Poliakoff's best writing: high in style and sustained mood, the play tells stories of the past with melodic descriptions, cinematic scope and aesthetic preciseness.
- Author BiographyStephen Poliakoff, CBE, FRSL, is an acclaimed playwright, director and screenwriter and is recognised as one of the UK's leading dramatists. His most recent work includes a number of high-profile and critically acclaimed TV dramas: The Lost Prince (BBC, 2003) winner of three Emmy Awards, Friends and Crocodiles (BBC, 2005), Gideon's Daughter (BBC, 2006) winner of two Golden Globes and a Peabody Award, Joe's Palace and Capturing Mary (BBC, 2007) and Glorious 39 (2009).
- Author(s)Stephen Poliakoff
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication08/09/2011
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleModern Plays
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMethuen Drama
- Weight126 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.