Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Dora and her eight-year-old daughter, Josiane are arrested in France, they are unable to produce on demand a one-franc coin, legal proof that they are t vagrants. To the detective holding their identity papers, the solution is simple. Penniless, unwanted, itinerant and Jewish, they must be shipped back to the Promised Land. But, this fresh start in Israel comes at a price. Dora's hostile neighbours are soon persecuting her openly for her foreignness and eccentricity. As she tries to make their tiny asbestos hut a home, their few possessions begin to disappear. Worse are the cat-calls in the street and the constant threat of physical violence. Ostracised from their community, Dora and her daughter face the world together. But soon, Josiane must come to terms with the truth about her mother.
- Author BiographyJosiane Behmoiras was born in Paris in 1953 and emigrated to Israel in 1961, where she later studied film and worked as a freelance documentary director for Israeli television. In 1985 she emigrated to Australia. She completed a Masters degree in creative writing at the University of Melbourne in 2004, the year her first short stories were published. This is her first book.
- Author(s)Josiane Behmoiras
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication19/02/2007
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.