All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA reading of Van Gogh's collected correspondence by way of a set of ideas about dialogue and self-fashioning derived especially from Mikhail Bakhtin. Patrick Grant's central claim is that Van Gogh's letters raise from within themselves questions and issues to which they also respond dialogically, thereby thematizing the process of self-fashioning within their own discourse. The manner in which they do so is a marker of the specifically literary dimension of Van Gogh's writing. Complementing Grant's earlier critical analysis, The Letters of Vincent van Gogh: A Critical Study (AU Press, 2014), this study brings Van Gogh's collected correspondence fully into the domain of modern literary studies, both critical and theoretical-as is long overdue.
- Author BiographyPatrick Grant, professor emeritus of English at the University of Victoria, is well known for his studies on literature and religion. In addition to The Letters of Vincent van Gogh: A Critical Study, he is the author of Imperfection, a study of the human aspiration to self-knowledge.
- Author(s)Patrick Grant
- PublisherAU Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleCultural Dialectics
- Place of PublicationEDMONTON
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintAU Press
- Content Notefull-colour throughout, 26 colour letter-sketches
- Weight318 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.