My Parent Has an Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Workbook for Children and Teens by Barbara R. Lester (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.68Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $11.36+ AU $6.00 postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGrowing up with a parent on the autism spectrum can be difficult, and children and teens may struggle to understand why their parent is different from others. It can be equally difficult for parents with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) to explain their unique set of strengths and challenges to their child in a sensitive and positive manner, and any adult faced with this situation will be in need of a helping hand. This supportive workbook has been designed with precisely this purpose in mind. In child-friendly language, the author describes the common characteristics of ASD, and encourages children to think about how the world might look from their parent's perspective. Topics covered include social and emotional difficulties, communication differences, sensory issues, body language, special interests, and how the child might go about explaining their parent's differences to other children, taking into account that some parents may t wish for their diagsis to be kwn beyond the family. Each chapter concludes with a worksheet for the parent and child to complete together, helping them to understand each other better and to develop strategies together for dealing with particular areas of difficulty. This workbook is an essential tool for any family with a parent on the autism spectrum, and is suitable for children and teens of all ages, whether or t they are on the autism spectrum. It will also be a useful resource for professionals who work with such families.
- Author BiographyBarbara R. Lester is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker at Intermountain Healthcare in Salt Lake City, Utah. She has been a practising psychotherapist for twenty-five years, and works primarily with children, adolescents and their families. She provides parenting classes, social skills groups and individual and family counseling to families affected by Autism Spectrum Disorders. Her father, now aged eighty-eight, is on the autistic spectrum, giving her both a personal and professional outlook on issues related to ASDs. Barbara resides in South Jordan, Utah. Her website can be found at www.ASDspecialist.com.
- Author(s)Barbara R. Lester
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication12/02/2011
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight217 g
- Width173 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.