Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $15.69Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn a chapel service in rural Wales, all is t what it seems ...A stage adaptation of one of the most celebrated and controversial short-story collections in the history of Anglo-Welsh literature. Originally published in 1915, the searing stories of My People - darkly comic, poignant, with flashes of savagery - exposed the hypocrisy and avarice nestling side-by-side in a Nonconformist community in the rural West Wales of the early 1900s. First produced n the centenary year of the publication of the original collection, this radical reimagining makes us question whether the events depicted in these remarkable stories are consigned to the past, or can we discern uncomfortable parallels in our modern life? This programme text edition was published to coincide with the world premiere of the stage adaptation on 5 November 2015 at Clwyd Theatr Cymru, in a co-production with Invertigo Theatre.
- Author BiographyCaradoc Evans (1878-1945) was a Welsh novelist, playwright and short story writer. Perhaps best known for his first collection, My People, his writing was villified by the popular press and celebrated by the literary world, with comparisons made to Balzac and Joyce, and Dylan Thomas listing him as one of his early influences. Writing in an English that was heavily influenced by Welsh grammar and vocabulary, his work sought to puncture the myths of quotidian life in Wlaes, juextaposing religiosity with the fearsome poverty in which people existed. Steffan Donnelly is an actor, theatre-maker, and Joint Artistic Director of Invertigo Theatre Company. He has written and produced a number of short films (selected for showing at the British Film Institute as well as festivals in Bristol, London and Berlin), a short play for HighTide Festival Theatre 2013, and co-wrote the National Youth Theatre of Wales' 2010 touring production No Other Day Like Today/Diwrnod Heb Ei Debyg. He is an Associate Artist of the National Youth Theatre and was Assistant Director on Welcoming The World (part of the National Theatre's Watch This Space Festival 2011). As an actor he has worked in theatres including Shakespeare's Globe, Sam Wanamaker Playhouse, and Barbican Centre.
- Author(s)Caradoc Evans
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication05/11/2015
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleModern Plays
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMethuen Drama
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight104 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.21Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.