Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.48Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPoignant, keenly observed, and irresistibly funny: a memoir about literary New York in the late nineties, a pre-digital world on the cusp of vanishing, where a young woman finds herself entangled with one of the last great figures of the century. At twenty-three, after leaving graduate school to pursue her dreams of becoming a poet, Joanna Rakoff moves to New York City and takes a job as assistant to the storied literary agent for J. D. Salinger. She spends her days in a plush, wood-paneled office, where Dictaphones and typewriters still reign and old-time agents doze at their desks after martini lunches. At night she goes home to the tiny, threadbare Williamsburg apartment she shares with her socialist boyfriend. Precariously balanced between glamour and poverty, surrounded by titanic personalities, and struggling to trust her own artistic instinct, Rakoff is tasked with answering Salinger s volumius fan mail. But as she reads the candid, heart-wrenching letters from his readers around the world, she finds herself unable to type out the agency s decades-old form response. Instead, drawn inexorably into the emotional world of Salinger s devotees, she abandons the template and begins writing back. Over the course of the year, she finds her own voice by acting as Salinger s, on her own dangerous and liberating terms. Rakoff paints a vibrant portrait of a bright, hungry young woman navigating a heady and longed-for world, trying to square romantic aspirations with burgeoning self-awareness, the idea of a life with life itself. Charming and deeply moving, filled with electrifying glimpses of an American literary icon, My Salinger Year is the coming-of-age story of a talented writer. Above all, it is a testament to the universal power of books to shape our lives and awaken our true selves.
- Author BiographyJoanna Rakoff s novelA Fortunate Agewon the Goldberg Prize for Jewish Fiction by Emerging Writers and the Elle Readers Prize, and was aNew York TimesEditors Choice and aSan Francisco Chroniclebest seller. She has written forThe New York Times, theLos Angeles Times, Vogue, and other publications. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Joanna Rakoff
- PublisherKnopf Publishing Group
- Date of Publication03/06/2014
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKnopf Publishing Group
- Weight472 g
- Width147 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.