All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA misfit in Spooner, Wisconsin, with its farms, bars, and strip joints, Debra Monroe leaves to earn a degree, then ather, and ather, and builds a career-if only because her plans to be a midwestern housewife continually get scuttled. Fearless butnaive, she vaults over class barriers but never quite leaves her past behind. When it comes to men, she's still blue collar. Negotiating the world of dating, Monroe pays careful attention to what love and sex mean to a woman ambivalent about her newfound status as liberated. Both the story of her steady rise into the professional class and a parallel history of unsuitable exes, this memoir reminds us how accidental even a good life can be. If Joan Didion advises us to keep on dding terms with the people we used to be, Monroe takes this advice a step further and ds at the people she might have become but didn't. Funny, poignant, wise,My Unsentimental Education explores the confusion that ensues when a working-class girl ends up far from where she began.
- Author BiographyDebra Monroe teaches in the MFA Program at Texas State University. She is the author of several books, including The Source of Trouble (winner of the Flannery O'Connor Award) and most recently On the Outskirts of Normal.
- Author(s)Debra Monroe
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Series TitleCrux: The Georgia Series in Literary Nonfiction
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Weight825 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $61.76
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $52.72
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.