All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.10
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.94
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.68
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.26
- AU $12.24Trending at AU $21.04
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.66
About this product
- DescriptionIn My Wife the Metaphysician, or Lady Murasaki's Revenge, Michael Shapiro devises a storied diary that views the world through the eyes of an inimitable woman whose being and essence are determined by her superlative and penetrating intellect. Inspired by the great Japanese literature by upper-class women writers of the mid-Heian period, eighty-four masterfully woven sections alternate prose, poetry, social commentary and haiku-like vignettes to tell a fascinating tale of betrayal, revenge and undying love. Cruelly and unjustly exiled, Lady Murasaki, accompanied by her consort, Prince Towa Ai, is the virtuoso author of learned discourses on the Western literary heritage, especially the Divine Comedy and Provencal poetry. The narrator's skein moves the characters along a topography that has them migrating asynchrously between contemporary California and interwar Tokyo, Budapest and Moscow, ancient Israel and the medieval Romance world, Freiburg and New York, rural Alabama and Vermont. Characters and chrologies are scrambled and reconstituted, real and imaginary events and places commingled, as Lady Murasaki brings her vast kwledge of art and literature to bear on explorations of medieval and Renaissance literature and the labyrinthine fictions of Dostoevsky, Bulgakov, and Nabokov. Her dialogues engage interlocutors that run the gamut from Satan and Pontius Pilate to Dante himself, as well as a giant humaid cat. Through it all and to the end, including her final attainment of retributive justice, Lady Murasaki is wedded to Prince Towa Ai, and it is their real-life love story that animates everything.
- Author BiographyMichael Shapiro was born in Yokohama and educated in Japan and the United States. He and his late wife, the medievalist and Renaissance scholar, Marianne Shapiro, are the authors of several books, including Figuration in Verbal Art. His earlier book, My Wife the Metaphysician, or Lady Murasaki's Revenge, is a work of fiction inspired by the great Japanese literature of upper-class women writers in the mid-Heian period.
- Author(s)Michael Shapiro
- PublisherBooksurge Publishing
- Date of Publication12/09/2006
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBooksurge Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight354 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.