All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.95
About this product
- DescriptionMultiple myeloma is the second most common hematologic malignancy and c- rently affects approximately 50,000 people in the United States. Each year about 20,000 people are diagsed with myeloma. Although new treatments have been developed, which signi?cantly prolong the survival of patients, myeloma bone d- ease still remains a major cause of severe morbidity and increased mortality in patients with myeloma. Myeloma bone disease is characterized by punched out lytic lesions caused by increased osteoclastic bone destruction accompanied by suppressed or even absent osteoblast activity. Advances in our understanding of both the pathophysiology of myeloma bone disease and the development of vel agents that target speci?c pathways involved in both the increased osteoclast f- mation and the suppressed osteoblast activity in myeloma provide new hope for these patients. The treatment of myeloma bone disease was revolutionized by cl- ical trials that demonstrated the signi?cant bene?t of intraveus bisphosphonate therapy in patients with myeloma bone disease. With the identi?cation of many of the cytokines and chemokines involved in myeloma bone disease, vel th- apies such as desumab that blocks RANKL activity, anti-DKK1, which targets the inhibition of osteoblast activity by blocking Wnt signaling inhibition, and the potential anabolic effects of agents such as bortezomib and activin have greatly improved our potential to block the progression or reverse myeloma bone disease.
- Author(s)G. David Roodman
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication04/05/2010
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleCurrent Clinical Oncology
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Note32 black & white illustrations, 43 colour illustrations, 17 black & white tables, biography
- Weight609 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.