All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMysteries of the Jaguar Shamans of the Northwest Amazon tells the life story of Mandu da Silva, the last living jaguar shaman among the Baniwa people in the Northwest Amazon. In this original and engaging work, Robin M. Wright, who has kwn and worked with Silva for more than thirty years, weaves the story of Silva's life together with the Baniwas' broader society, history, mythology, cosmology, and jaguar shaman traditions. The jaguar shamans are key players in what Wright calls a nexus of religious power and kwledge in which healers, sorcerers, priestly chanters, and dance leaders exercise complementary functions that link living specialists with the deities and great spirits of the cosmos. Exploring in depth the apprenticeship of the shaman, Wright shows how jaguar shamans seek the kwledge and power of the deities through several stages of instruction and practice. This volume, the first study to map the sacred geography ( mythscape ) of the rthern Arawak-speaking people of the Northwest Amazon, demonstrates the direct connections between petroglyphs and other inscriptions and Baniwa sacred narratives as a whole. In eloquent and inviting analytic prose, Wright links biographic and ethgraphic elements in elevating anthropological writing to a new standard of theoretically aware storytelling and analytic power.
- Author BiographyRobin M. Wright is an associate professor of religion at the University of Florida. He is the coeditor of Native Christians: Modes and Effects of Christianity among Indigenous Peoples of the Americas and In Darkness and Secrecy: The Anthropology of Assault Sorcery and Witchcraft in Amazonia.
- Author(s)Robin M. Wright
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2013
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note18 photographs, 7 illustrations, 2 maps, 2 tables
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Foreword byMichael J. Harner
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.