All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Jean-Pierre Vernant first published Myth and Thought among the Greeks in 1965, it transformed the field of ancient Greek scholarship, calling forth a new way to think about Greek myth and thought. In eighteen essays--three of which, along with a new preface, are translated into English for the first time--Vernant freed the subject of ancient Greece from its philological chains and reread the questions of muthos and logos within multifaced and transdisciplinary contexts--of religion, ritual, and art, philosophy, science, social and ecomic institutions, and historical psychology. A major contribution to both the humanities and the social sciences, Myth and Thought among the Greeks aims to come to terms with a single, essential question: How were individual persons in ancient Greece inseparable from a social and cultural environment of which they were simultaneously the creators and products? Seven themes organize this stellar work--from Myth Structures and Mythic Aspects of Memory and Time to The Organization of Space, Work and Techlogical Thought, and Personal Identity and Religion. A master storyteller, an invative, precise, and original thinker, Vernant continues to change the narratives we tell about the histories of civilizations and the histories of human beings in their individual and collective identities.
- Author BiographyThe late Jean-Pierre Vernant was Professor of Comparative Study of Religions at the College de France in Paris. Janet Lloyd is a translator and writer living in England.
- Author(s)Jean-Pierre Vernant
- PublisherZone Books
- Date of Publication13/06/2006
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintZone Books
- Weight703 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Translated byJanet Lloyd,Jeff Fort
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.