All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Myth of Empowerment surveys the ways in which women have been represented and influenced by the rapidly growing therapeutic culture--both popular and professional--from the mid-nineteenth century to the present. The middle-class woman concerned about her health and her ability to care for others in an uncertain world is t as different from her late nineteenth-century white middle-class predecessors as we might imagine. In the nineteenth century she was told that her moral virtue was her power; today, her power is said to reside in her ability to relate to others or to take better care of herself so that she can take care of others. Dana Becker argues that ideas like empowerment perpetuate the myth that many of the problems women have are medical rather than societal; personal rather than political. From mesmerism to psychotherapy to the Oprah Winfrey Show, women have gleaned ideas about who they are as psychological beings. Becker questions what women have had to gain from these ideas as she recounts the story of where they have been led and where the therapeutic culture is taking them.
- Author BiographyDana Becker is associate professor, Bryn Mawr Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research. She has been in private practice of psychotherapy since 1989. She is the author of Through the Looking Glass: Women and Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Author(s)Dana Becker
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2005
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight349 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.