All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.42
About this product
- DescriptionNarrative is an important element in our daily life and the vel is arguably the most popular genre of our times. The theory of narrative or narratology, which was developed in the 1960s, has helped us towards a better understanding of the how and why of narrative. Narratology and Classics is the first introduction to narratology that deals specifically with classical narrative: epic, historiography, biography, the ancient vel, but also the many narratives inserted in drama or lyric. The first part of the volume sketches the rise of narratology, and defines key narratological terms, illustrated with examples from both modern vels and Greek and Latin texts. Among the topics discussed are the identity of the role of narrator and narratees, tales within tales, metalepsis, temporal devices such as prolepsis and analepsis, retardation and acceleration, repetition and gaps, focalisation, and the thematic, symbolic, or characterising functions of space. The second part of the volume offers three close readings of famous classical texts and shows how the interpretation of these texts can be enriched by the use of narratology. The aim of this practical guide is to initiate its readers quickly into a literary theory that has established itself as a powerful new instrument in the classicist's toolkit. All concepts are clearly defined and illustrated from Greek and Latin texts, and detailed bibliographies at the end of each chapter point the way to theoretical studies and to further narratological studies of classical texts.
- Author BiographyIrene J. F. de Jong is Professor of ancient Greek at the University of Amsterdam and a member of the Academia Europaea. She has published extensively on Homer, Herodotus, Euripides, and classical narrative. Her work has been translated into Spanish and New-Greek.
- Author(s)Irene J. F. de Jong
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight418 g
- Width147 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.