All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAutobiographical stories, widely popular since their creation, are still one of the primary ethgraphic and historic sources on Native North American individuals. Many books in this genre, including the famous Black Elk Speaks, have been translated into numerous languages. Native American Autobiography Redefined: A Handbook interrogates critical discussions about Native American autobiographies and challenges their often Eurocentric perspectives: it offers a new rubric for studying the genre, dismantles misperceptions about indigeus peoples, and analyzes in detail a n-biased, Native-centered example of writing about Native American autobiography. This book asks readers to move away from the western cultural tion of autobiography to a Native American cultural perspective of communal narrative. Special emphasis is given to issues of gender bias and to the great disparity between Eastern Woodlands and western culture's perceptions of women.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Stephanie A. Sellers, a culturally identified woman of Native ancestry (Eastern Woodlands), received her Ph.D. in Native American studies with an emphasis on women of the Eastern Woodlands from Union Institute & University in Cincinnati. She teaches in the English Department at Gettysburg College and has published numerous scholarly articles, fiction, and poetry. Her area of research also includes Native American women's studies.
- Author(s)Stephanie A. Sellers
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/12/2006
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2007
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight200 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.