All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the first Americans, hundreds of indigeus bands and nations already lived in North America when European explorers first set out to conquer an inhabited land. This book captures the early history of these complex societies and their 500-year struggle to survive against all odds from war, displacement, broken treaties, and boarding schools. Not only a history of tribal nations, Native American History for Kids also includes profiles of famous Native Americans and their many contributions, from early leaders to superstar athlete Jim Thorpe, dancer Maria Tallchief, astronaut John Herrington, author Sherman Alexie, actor Wes Studi, and more. Readers will also learn about Indian culture through hands-on activities, such as planting a Three Sisters garden (corn, squash, and beans), making beef jerky in a low-temperature oven, weaving a basket out of folded newspaper strips, deciphering a World War II Navajo Code Talker message, and playing Ball-and-Triangle, a game popular with Pebscot children. And before they are finished, readers will be inspired to kw that the history of the Native American people is the history of all Americans.
- Author BiographyKaren Bush Gibson is the author of eight books on Native American culture. She lives in Norman, Oklahoma.
- Author(s)Karen Bush Gibson
- PublisherZephyr Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2010
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Literature, Arts & Humanities
- Place of PublicationTuscan
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZephyr Press
- Content Note50 b/w photos & 30 b/w illus
- Weight480 g
- Width279 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine8 mm
Save on Children & YA Non-Fiction
- AU $42.99Trending at AU $44.22
- AU $15.26Trending at AU $22.67
- AU $2.50Trending at AU $2.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.