All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHard-hitting recommendations for what must be done to manage global natural capital and reverse environmental destruction Natural capital is what nature provides to us for free. Renewables-like species-keep on coming, provided we do t drive them towards extinction. Non-renewables-like oil and gas-can only be used once. Together, they are the foundation that ensures our survival and well-being, and the basis of all ecomic activity. In the face of the global, local, and national destruction of biodiversity and ecosystems, ecomist Dieter Helm here offers a crucial set of strategies for establishing natural capital policy that is balanced, ecomically sustainable, and politically viable. Helm shows why the commonly held view that environmental protection poses obstacles to ecomic progress is false, and he explains why the environment must be at the very core of ecomic planning. He presents the first real attempt to calibrate, measure, and value natural capital from an ecomic perspective and goes on to outline a stable new framework for sustainable growth. Bristling with ideas of immediate global relevance, Helm's book shifts the parameters of current environmental debate. As inspiring as his trailblazing The Carbon Crunch, this volume will be essential reading for anyone concerned with reversing the headlong destruction of our environment.
- Author BiographyDieter Helm is Fellow in Economics, New College, Oxford. He is also Professor of Energy Policy and Professorial Research Fellow, Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, University of Oxford. He lives in Oxfordshire, UK.
- Author(s)Dieter Helm
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight635 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.