All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the dangers and the patterns of adaptation that emerge through exposure to risk on a daily basis. By addressing the influence of environmental factors in Indian Ocean World history, the collection reaches across the boundaries of the natural and social sciences, presenting case-studies that deal with a diverse range of natural hazards - fire in Madagascar, drought in India, cyclones and typhoons in Oman, Australia and the Philippines, climatic variability, storms and flood in Vietnam and the Philippines, and volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and tsunamis in Indonesia. These chapters, written by leading international historians, respond to a growing need to understand the ways in which natural hazards shape social, ecomic and political development of the Indian Ocean World, a region of the globe that is highly susceptible to the impacts of seismic activity, extreme weather, and climate change.
- Author BiographyGreg Bankoff is Professor of Modern History at the University of Hull, United Kingdom. He has worked and published extensively on both the historical dimension of how societies adapt to risk as well as engaged with contemporary civil defence and emergency management practices in Asia, Australasia and more recently in Europe. His most recent publications include co-authoring The Red Cross's World Disaster Report 2014: Culture and Risk and a companion coedited volume entitled Cultures and Disasters: Understanding Cultural Framings in Disaster Risk Reduction (2015). Joseph Christensen is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Asia Research Centre, Murdoch University, Australia, where he works in the fields of maritime and environmental history. He obtained a BA and PhD from the University of Western Australia. He is co-editor of Historical Perspectives of Fisheries Exploitation in the Indo-Pacific (2014).
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication10/07/2016
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Series TitlePalgrave Series in Indian Ocean World Studies
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 25 colour illustrations, 10 black & white tables, biography
- Weight565 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byGreg Bankhoff,Joseph Christensen
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.