Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- Descriptiona Naturea is a deceptively simple and ahistorical term, suggesting intrinsic, unchanging reality. Yet nature has a history too, both in terms of human attitudes and human impacts. Coates outlines the major understandings of a naturea in the western world since classical times, from nature as higher authority to its more recent meaning of threatened physical space and life forms. Unlike many others, this book places the history of attitudes to nature within the story of human--induced changes in the material environment. And few others take a supranational perspective, or cross the divides between historical eras. A distinctive unifying theme is Coatesa s interest in how a greena writers over the last thirty years have interpreted our past dealings with nature, specifically their efforts to diagse the roots of contemporary ecological problems and their search for ancestors. He concludes with a discussion of the future of nature in the context of developments such as the a newa ecology, global warming, advances in genetic engineering and research on animal behaviour. Assuming previous kwledge, Nature provides the reader with an accessible synthesis and introduction to some of environmental historya s central features and debates, confirming its status as one of the most enthralling current pursuits within historical studies. This will be essential reading for second--year undergraduates and above in cultural history and environmental history, as well as to the general reader interested in environmental issues.
- Author BiographyPeter Coates is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Historical Studies at the University of Bristol.
- Author(s)Peter Coates
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication27/09/1998
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Series TitleThemes in History
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note0
- Weight362 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.