Nazar: Photographs from the Arab World by Peter Lewis, Michket Krifa, Issa Touma, Isolde Brielmaier, Sherifa Zuhur, Negar Azimi, Issam Nassar (Hardback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $39.97Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $31.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn Arabic word meaning seeing, insight, reflection, Nazar is an apt title for this multifaceted view of the Arab world seen through the eyes of fifty-six Arab and Western photographers. With essays by seven international writers, this stimulating catalog to a highly acclaimed exhibition at the Noorderlicht Festival presents the largest collection of Arab photographs ever exhibited in the West. The book is divided into three sections: Arab Eyes, A Look Back (early photography in the Arab world), and Western Eyes. The essays explore diverse facets of this rich range of imagery and introduce multiple generations of photographers - male and female - previously little kwn outside the Middle East. The first to survey such a variety of work, the book also provides insight into the cultural, political, social, religious, ecomic, and aesthetic forces that have determined the evolution of photography - both documentary and fine art - from North Africa to Leban and Palestine, from Egypt to Iraq, Syria, and Saudi Arabia. Ranging from passionately documentary to technically invative to subversively banal, these images challenge preconceived views about the region. This handsomely designed volume will be a revelation to readers around the world and a welcome introduction to an unfamiliar but increasingly vital center of photography.
- Author BiographyWIM MELIS is curator of the Noorderlicht Festival in Groningen, the Netherlands. MICHKET KRIFA is a Tunisian-born free-lance writer and curator living in Paris. NEGAR AZIMI is a writer and curator living in Cairo as well as a member of the Lebanese Arab Image Foundation. ISSAM NASSAR is codirector of the Institute for Jerusalem Studies in Jerusalem. ISOLDE BRIELMAIER teaches at Vassar College in New York. ISSA TOUMA is founder and director of the international photo festival in Aleppo, Syria - the first to be held in the Middle East. PETER LEWIS is an artist and freelance curator living in London. SHERIFA ZUHUR is professor of national security at the Strategic Studies Institute of the United States Army War College.
- Author(s)Isolde Brielmaier,Issa Touma,Issam Nassar,Michket Krifa,Negar Azimi,Peter Lewis,Sherifa Zuhur
- Date of Publication05/09/2005
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Note168 colour illustrations, 132duotone images
- Weight1290 g
- Width230 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byWim Melis
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.