All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the careers of three of Nazi cinema's preeminent movie actresses, painting a unique portrait of mass entertainment and stardom under Nazi rule. Bruns uses undiscovered sources and a new approach, which integrates visual analysis within a thorough political and social context, to trace how the Nazis tried to use films and stars to build National Socialism. This analysis focuses on female stars - an important but largely unexplored area - because they were mostly responsible for Nazi cinema's spectacular commercial success and political failure. Challenging earlier studies, which view Nazi cinema as an effective propaganda instrument that helped turn Germans into devoted 'Aryan' mothers and tough warriors, the book shows that the Nazi regime's liaison with the cinema was ambivalent. Films failed to disseminate a coherent political message and to Nazify German society. However, they helped the regime maintain power by diverting people's attention from the brutality of Hitler's rule and, eventually, from impending defeat.
- Author BiographyJana Bruns earned her Ph.D. in modern European history from Stanford University, where she held numerous fellowships, including the Oakford Fellowship, the Harris Dissertation Fellowship, and the Geballe Fellowship. Her dissertation received the Elisabeth Rosenfield Prize for Outstanding Dissertation Writing and was one of two finalists for the Fritz Stern Prize, awarded by the German Historical Institute. From September 2002 until January 2008, she was an assistant professor in modern European history at C. W. Post College of Long Island University.
- Author(s)Jana F. Bruns
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication27/04/2009
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note32 b/w illus.
- Weight590 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.