All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNative American cultures have always succeeded to varying degrees in negotiating a balance between their tribal cultural heritage and the 'dominant culture.' In the present study, the meeting between these cultures is t interpreted as a clash, but as a cultural encounter in a contact zone. The concept of transculturation serves as a theoretical model to analyze how history and culture are fictionally constructed in contemporary American Indian literature. Developing a dynamic, dialogic, and reciprocal relationship between their native worldviews and literary techniques, on the one hand, and those of the larger society, on the other, the writers examined in this study - Anna Lee Walters, Diane Glancy, James Welch, Linda Hogan, Thomas King, and Gerald Vizer - stress the processual nature of culture. These writers demonstrate that transculturation functions as a major strategy of survival for Native Americans in the past and in the present.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Karsten Fitz is Assistant Professor at the Department of English and American Studies at the University of Regensburg. He earned his M.A. at the University of Hannover, and has been awarded a doctoral fellowship by the Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst. Fitz studied at the Universiy of Washington, Seattle (1990-91) and did research at the American Indian Studies Center of the University of California, Los Angeles. He has published on contemporary Native American Literature.
- Author(s)Karsten Fitz
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/04/2001
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleRegensburger Arbeiten zur Anglistik und Amerikanistik
- Series Part/Volume Number43
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight320 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.