All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn many parts of Appalachia, family ties run deep, constituting an important part of an individualAes sense of self. In some cases, when Appalachian learners seek new forms of kwledge, those family ties can be challenged by the accusation that they have gotten above their raisings, a charge that can have a lasting impact on family and community acceptance. Those who advocate literacy sometimes igre an important fact - although empowering, newly acquired literacies can create identity conflicts for learners, especially Appalachian women. In Negotiating a Perilous Empowerment, Erica Abrams Locklear explores these literacy-initiated conflicts, analyzing how authors from the region portray them in their fiction and creative nfiction. Abrams Locklear blends literacy studies with literary criticism to analyze the central female characters in the works of Harriette Simpson Arw, Linda Scott DeRosier, Denise Giardina, and Lee Smith. She shows how these authors deftly overturn stereotypes of an illiterate Appalachia by creating highly literate characters, women who t only cherish the power of words but also push the boundaries of what literacy means. Negotiating a Perilous Empowerment includes in-depth interviews with Linda Scott DeRosier and Lee Smith, making this an insightful study of an important literary genre.
- Author BiographyErica Abrams Locklear is an assistant professor in the Literature and Language department at the University of North Carolina at Asheville. She has published articles in the Southern Literary Journal, Crossroads: A Southern Culture Annual, Community Literacy Journal, and the North Carolina Folklore Journal.
- Author(s)Erica Abrams Locklear
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleRace, Ethnicity and Gender in Appalachia
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $36.17Trending at AU $70.69
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.