All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat role do diplomacy and negotiations play in ecomic globalization? Many argue that great powers shape diplomacy to their advantage, others that, in a 'flat world', diplomacy helps everyone. Going beyond these polarized views, this book explores the conditions under which negotiations matter and the ways in which diplomacy is evolving in the global commercial arena. J. P. Singh argues that where there is a diffusion or decentralization of power among global actors, diplomacy can be effective in allowing the adjustment of positions so that mutual gains will result. In contrast, when there is a concentration of power, outcomes tend to benefit the strong. There will be little alteration in perception of interest, and coercion by strong powers is common. Singh's book suggests that there are possibilities for transformational problem-solving through multilateral diplomacy. Empirically, the book examines the most important information-age trade issues.
- Author BiographyJ. P. Singh is Associate Professor at the graduate program in Communication, Culture and Technology at Georgetown University. His book publications include Leapfrogging Development? The Political Economy of Telecommunications Restructuring (1999) and Information Technologies and Global Politics (co-edited with James N. Rosenau, 2002). He has also authored over three-dozen scholarly articles. He has been a visiting scholar at the World Trade Organization in Geneva and at the New America Foundation in Washington, DC. He was Editor of the Wiley-Blackwell journal Review of Policy Research: The Politics and Policy of Science and Technology, from 2006-09.
- Author(s)J. P. Singh
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication20/11/2008
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 graphs
- Weight740 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.