All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough indigeus communities reacted to Spanish presence with significant acts of resistance and rebellion, they also turned to negotiation to deal with conflicts and ameliorate the consequences of colonial rule. This affected t only the development of legal systems in New Spain and Mexico but also the survival and continuation of traditional cultures. Bringing together work by Mexican and North American historians, this collection is a crucially important and rare contribution to the field. Negotiation within Domination is a valuable resource for native peoples as they seek to redefine and revitalize their identities and assert their rights relating to language and religion, ownership of lands and natural resources, rights of self-determination and self-government, and protection of cultural and intellectual property. It will be of interest primarily to specialists in the field of colonial studies and historians and ethhistorians of New Spain. Contributors: R. Jovita Baber, Jose Manuel A. Chavez-Gomez, Susan Kellogg, Edward W. Osowski, Maria de los Angeles Romero Frizzi, Ethelia Ruiz Medra, Cuauhtemoc Velasco Avila, and, Yanna P. Yannakakis.
- Author BiographyEthelia Ruiz Medrano is a researcher at the Direccion de Estudios Historicos, Instituto Nacional de Antropologia e Historia in Mexico and a visiting professor at The Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies at Harvard University. She is the author of 3 books with the University Press of Colorado, and the recipient of a John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship in 2006. Susan Kellogg is a professor of history and the director of the Latin American Studies Program at the University of Houston.
- PublisherUniversity Press of Colorado
- Date of Publication15/07/2010
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationColorado
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Colorado
- Content Notemaps
- Weight528 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byEthelia Ruiz Medrano,Susan Kellogg
- Translated byRuss Davidson
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.