All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.56
- AU $15.16Trending at AU $23.80
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.84
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $6.53
- AU $20.71Trending at AU $24.37
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $19.06
- AU $10.90Trending at AU $17.97
About this product
- DescriptionOne day when Nelson Mandela was nine years old, his father died and he was sent from his village to a school far away from home, to ather part of South Africa. In Johannesburg, the country's capital, Mandela saw fellow Africans who were poor and powerless. He decided then that he would work to protect them. When the government began to keep people apart based on the color of their skin, Mandela spoke out against the law and vowed to fight hard in order to make his country a place that belonged to all South Africans. Kadir Nelson tells the story of Mandela, a global icon, in poignant verse and glorious illustrations. It is the story of a young boy's determination to change South Africa and of the struggles of a man who eventually became the president of his country by believing in equality for people of all colors. Readers will be inspired by Mandela's triumph and his lifelong quest to create a more just world.
- Author BiographyKadir Nelson won the 2012 Coretta Scott King Author Award and Illustrator Honor for Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans. He received Caldecott Honors for Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen Levine and Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom by Carole Boston Weatherford, for which he also garnered a Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award and won an NAACP Image Award. Ellington Was Not a Street by Ntozake Shange won a Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award. Nelson's authorial debut, We Are the Ship, was a New York Times bestseller, a Coretta Scott King Author Award winner, and a Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor book. He is also the author and illustrator of the acclaimed Baby Bear.
- Author(s)Kadir Nelson
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/2013
- SubjectPicture Books
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKatherine Tegen Books
- Content NoteFull Colour Illustrations
- Weight462 g
- Width210 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Illustrator(s)Kadir Nelson
- Interest AgeFrom 4
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.