Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet by Michael Hauben, Ronda Hauben (Hardback, 1997)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $75.65Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $51.94+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNetizens, one of the first books detailing the Internet, looks at the creation and development of this participatory global computer network. The authors conducted online research to find out what makes the Internet tick . This research results in an informative examination of the pioneering vision and actions that have helped make the Net possible. The book is a detailed description of the Net's construction and a step-by-step view of the past, present, and future of the Internet, the Usenet and the WWW The book gives you the needed perspective to understand how the Net can impact the present and the turbulent future. These questions are answered: What is the vision that inspired or guided these people at each step? What was the technical or social problem or need that they were trying to solve? What can be done to help urish the future extension and development of the Net? How can the Net be made available to a broader set of people?
- Author BiographyMichael Hauben has participated in online communities since the early 1980s. He has worked at the University of Detroit/Mercy and Columbia University helping people use and understand computers. He is a graduate of Columbia University with a BA in Computer Science. Through his pioneering interactive online research, Michael coined and introduced the tern Netizen into popular use. He is now a graduate student at Teachers College of Columbia University studying computer mediated communication. Having given the Amateur Computerist newsletter its name, he continues to contribute articles on a regular basis. He has appeared in documentaries about the internet on TV Tokyo, and has been frequently consulted to comment on the growing importance of this new democratic medium. He has given talks in the United States, Japan and Canada about the social significance and history of the internet. He is a member of the ACM, IEEE and IEEE Computer Society. He enjoys listening and dancing to electronic music, working with children and helping people to communicate. Michael is the host of the Netizens Cyberstop World Wide Web page. Ronda Hauben has her BA from Queens College and her MA from Tufts University. She has taught at Stillman College in Alabama and Wheelock College in Massachusetts. Most recently she taught introductory Unix, email and internet classes at Columbia University. Part of the online community since 1988, she has helped to pioneer online research, and her work has benefited from the comments and contributions of the online community. In January 1994, some of this work was collected in the online anthology The Netizens and the Wonderful World of the Net: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet . Articles she has written have appeared in the Amateur Computerist, the Linux Journal, the Proceedings of Telecommunities '95, Internet Secrets, READNE, and other publications. She has presented talks to community, university and professional audiences. Her papers have been presented internationally at conferences in Canada and in Ireland, as well as in the USA. She lives in New York City and enjoys participating in Usenet, studying history and going to the theater.
- Author(s)Michael Hauben,Ronda Hauben
- PublisherIEEE Computer Society Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication27/04/1997
- SubjectComputing: General
- Place of PublicationLos Alamitos, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIEEE Computer Society Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps, ports.
- Weight711 g
- Width161 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine29 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.15New
- AU $21.21New
- AU $24.85New
- AU $19.97New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.81New
- AU $11.56Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.52New
- AU $32.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.99
- AU $18.58Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.06
- AU $16.05Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.48
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.