All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver the past sixty years, powerful methods of model-based control engineering have been responsible for such dramatic advances in engineering systems as autolanding aircraft, automous vehicles, and even weather forecasting. Over those same decades, our models of the nervous system have evolved from single-cell membranes to neuronal networks to large-scale models of the human brain. Yet until recently control theory was completely inapplicable to the types of nlinear models being developed in neuroscience. The revolution in nlinear control engineering in the late 1990s has made the intersection of control theory and neuroscience possible. In Neural Control Engineering, Steven Schiff seeks to bridge the two fields, examining the application of new methods in nlinear control engineering to neuroscience. After presenting extensive material on formulating computational neuroscience models in a control environment -- including some fundamentals of the algorithms helpful in crossing the divide from intuition to effective application -- Schiff examines a range of applications, including brain-machine interfaces and neural stimulation. He reports on research that he and his colleagues have undertaken showing that nlinear control theory methods can be applied to models of single cells, small neuronal networks, and large-scale networks in disease states of Parkinson's disease and epilepsy. With Neural Control Engineering the reader acquires a working kwledge of the fundamentals of control theory and computational neuroscience sufficient t only to understand the literature in this trandisciplinary area but also to begin working to advance the field. The book will serve as an essential guide for scientists in either biology or engineering and for physicians who wish to gain expertise in these areas.
- Author BiographySteven J. Schiff, a neurosurgeon, is Brush Chair Professor of Engineering and Director of the Center for Neural Engineering at Pennsylvania State University.
- Author(s)Steven J. Schiff
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication07/12/2011
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleComputational Neuroscience
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note203 b&w illus., 2 tables, 31 color plates
- Weight839 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.