All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Certain Kind of Wisdom In Plato's Apology, the Greek philosopher Socrates is on trial to defend himself against the allegation of corrupting the youth of Athens. Socrates denies this charge and offers an alternate reason for why he is on trial. He explains, [w]hat has caused my reputation is ne other than a certain kind of wisdom. What kind of wisdom? Human wisdom, perhaps(1). He proceeds to tell the story of his friend Chaerophon, who once asked the Oracle at Delphi whether there was anyone wiser than Socrates. The Oracle answered that there was t. Socrates did t agree and thought that he would try to prove the Oracle wrong. And so he set about seeking out Athenians with a reputation for wisdom in various regards in order to test their claims to kwledge through questioning. He discovered many with false claims to kwledge and ne with genuine wisdom and ultimately concluded that he was the wisest. He reached this conclusion t because of any special kwledge he possessed that others did t, but rather because he recognized his own lack of kwledge and strived to learn more, while others thought that they were k- edgeable but were t. Socrates' conclusion that there is wisdom in recognizing the limitations of accepted kwledge represents the motivation for this book.
- Author(s)Michael Benatar
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication13/10/2010
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight860 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement1st ed. Softcover of orig. ed. 2006
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.