Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionIn contrast to the level of interest which is paid to the orga nization of meetings about the structure and function of the audi tory periphery, the central auditory system has received little attention in the last several years. However, much recent data accu mulated during this period has provided auditory physiologists with new ideas about the function of the central auditory system. The successful exploration of new anatomical tracing techniques (triti ated amiacids, horseradish peroxidase, 2-deoxyglucose) together with the collection of electrophysiological data obtained with intra cellular and extracellular recordings from the receptors and neurones in the auditory pathway have considerably deepened our understanding of central auditory function. Particular interest was concentrated upon the development of the auditory system under rmal conditions and in conditions ofaudi tory deprivation. Although, from the methodological point of view, the conditions of reversible auditory deprivation are complicated, promising new data appeared in this field. Similarly the specific ability of the auditory system to encode communication signals and speech sounds has been examined in many laboratories allover the world. A very fruitful method. based upon the results of electrical stimulation of cochlear nerve fibres in experimental animals, is the application of neuroprostheses in deaf patients. At the present time, the method still does t meet all requirements and many improvements will be necessary. Undoubtedly the exploration of the results of recent physiological experiments may help in the further improvement of neuroprostheses.
- Date of Publication22/03/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, bibliography
- Weight789 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byLindsay Aitkin
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.