All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNeuroscience of Pain, Stress, and Emotion: Psychological and Clinical Implications presents updated research on stress, pain, and emotion, all key research areas within both basic and clinical neuroscience. Improved research understanding of their interaction is ultimately necessary if clinicians and those working in the field of psychosomatic medicine are to alleviate patient suffering. This volume offers broad coverage of that interaction, with chapters written by major researchers in the field. After reviewing the neuroscience of pain and stress, the contents go on to address the interaction between stress and chronic/acute pain, the role of different emotions in pain, neurobiological mechanisms mediating these various interactions, individual differences in both stress and pain, the role of patient expectations during treatment (placebo and cebo responses), and how those relate to stress modulation. While there are books on the market which discuss pain, stress, and emotion separately, this volume is the first to tackle their nexus, thus appealing to both researchers and clinicians.
- Author BiographyProfessor of Biological Psychology and Depatment Chair of Psychology at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Dr. Flaten's reserach focuses on biological psychology, psychology of learning, behavioral medicine, and pain. He serves as a board member for European Psychologist and European Journal of Behavior Analysis and served as Chair for the Organizing Committee of the International Conference on Imaging in Neuroscience 2007-2009. Dr. Flaten chaired the 2011 symposium on placebo and pain at the annual Society for Neuroscience meeting. Professor of Behavioral Medicine and holder of the Max & Mary La Due Pickworth Chair at the University of Minnesota Medical School, Dr. al'Absi is the founding director of the Duluth Medical Research Institute. He is also the Course Director of Behavioral Medicine at the Medical School, has a joint appointment as a Professor and a graduate faculty at the Departments of Physiology & Pharmacology, Neuroscience, Family Medicine, and the Integrated Biological Sciences Program. Professor al'Absi directs a research program focusing on the neurobiology of stress.
- PublisherElsevier Science Publishing Co Inc
- Date of Publication04/01/2016
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationSan Diego
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademic Press Inc
- Weight630 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byMagne Arve Flaten,Mustafa al'Absi
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.