About this product
- DescriptionNew York Times bestseller..'NeuroTribes is a sweeping and penetrating history, presented with a rare sympathy and sensitivity. It will change how you think of autism.' - From the foreword by Oliver Sacks..What is autism: a devastating developmental condition, a lifelong disability, or a naturally occurring form of cognitive difference akin to certain forms of genius? In truth, it is all of these things and more - and the future of our society depends on our understanding it...Following on from his groundbreaking article 'The Geek Syndrome', Wired reporter Steve Silberman unearths the secret history of autism, long suppressed by the same clinicians who became famous for discovering it, and finds surprising answers to the crucial question of why the number of diagses has soared in recent years...Going back to the earliest autism research and chronicling the brave and lonely journey of autistic people and their families through the decades, Silberman provides long-sought solutions to the autism puzzle, while mapping out a path towards a more humane world in which people with learning differences have access to the resources they need to live happier and more meaningful lives...Along the way, he reveals the untold story of Hans Asperger, the father of Asperger's syndrome, whose 'little professors' were targeted by the darkest social-engineering experiment in human history; exposes the covert campaign by child psychiatrist Leo Kanner to suppress kwledge of the autism spectrum for fifty years; and casts light on the growing movement of 'neurodiversity' activists seeking respect, techlogical invation, accommodations in the workplace and education, and the right to self- determination for those with cognitive differences.
- Author BiographySTEVE SILBERMAN is an award-winning investigative reporter and has covered science and cultural affairs for Wired and other major magazines for more than twenty years. His writing has appeared in The New Yorker, TIME, Nature and Salon.
- Author(s)Steve Silberman
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication01/09/2015
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.45Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.82
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $21.49Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.