All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt the onset of the Great Recession, as house prices sank and joblessness soared, many commentators thought that neoliberalism itself was in its death throes. And yet it seems that - post-apocalypse - we've woken into a second nightmare more ghastly than the first: a political class still blaming government intervention, a global drive for austerity, stagflation, and exploding sovereign debt crises. The ecomics profession has weathered the crisis by pumping ise and confusion into our attempts to understand the unfolding disasters. Philip Mirowski argues that, as in classic studies of cognitive dissonance, neoliberal thought has become so pervasive that any countervailing evidence serves only to further convince disciples of its ultimate truth. Once neoliberalism became a Theory of Everything - a revolutionary account of self, kwledge, information, markets, and government - it could longer be falsified by mere data from the real ecomy. In this sharp, witty and deeply informed account - taking prisoners in his pursuit of zombie ecomists - Mirowski surveys the wreckage of what passes for ecomic thought, and finally provides the basis for an anti-neoliberal account of the current crisis and our future prospects.
- Author BiographyPHILIP MIROWSKI is a historian and philosopher of economic thought at the University of Notre Dame, Indiana. His many previous books include ScienceMart, Machine Dreams and More Heat than Light, and he appeared in Adam Curtis's BBC documentary The Trap.
- Author(s)Philip Mirowski
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication12/07/2013
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Out-of-print date02/06/2016
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight907 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine43 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.