New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason by Victor J. Stenger (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.50Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by pozorbooks
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years a number of best-selling books have forcefully argued that belief in God can longer be defended on rational or empirical grounds, and that the scientific worldview has rendered obsolete the traditional beliefs held by Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. The authors of these books - Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, and Victor J Stenger - have come to be kwn as the New Atheists . Predictably, their works have been controversial and attracted a good deal of critical reaction. In this book, Victor J Stenger reviews and expands upon the principles of New Atheism and answers many of its critics. He demonstrates in detail that naturalism - the view that all of reality is reducible to matter and thing else - is sufficient to explain everything we observe in the universe, from the most distant galaxies to the inner workings of the brain that result in the phemen of mind. Stenger disputes the claim of many critics that the question of whether God exists is beyond the kwledge of science. On the contrary, he argues that absence of evidence for God is, indeed, evidence of absence when the evidence should be there and is t. Turning from scientific to historical evidence, Stenger then points out the many examples of evil perpetrated in the name of religion. He also tes that the Bible, which is still taken to be divine revelation by millions, fails as a basis for morality and is unable to account for the problem of unnecessary suffering throughout the world. Finally, he discusses the teachings of ancient ntheist sages such as Buddha, Lao Tzu, and Confucius, whose guidelines for coping with the problems of life and death did t depend upon a supernatural metaphysics. Stenger argues that this 'way of nature' is far superior to the traditional supernatural motheisms, which history shows can lead to a host of evils. This book offers a well-argued defence of the atheist position and a strong rebuttal of its critics.
- Author BiographyVictor J. Stenger(1935 - 2014) was an adjunct professor of philosophy at the University of Colorado and emeritus professor of physics and astronomy at the University of Hawaii. He was the author of the New York Times bestseller God: The Failed Hypothesis, God and the Atom, God and the Folly of Faith, The Comprehensible Cosmos, and many other books. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Victor J. Stenger
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication22/09/2009
- SubjectAlternative Belief Systems
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Content Noteblack & white tables, figures
- Weight381 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.