All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNew Directions in Consciousness Studies describes a range of fresh ideas which promise to significantly advance scientific understanding of human nature. Written in n-specialized language, the book draws upon concepts and research from history, philosophy, neuroscience and physics to delineate new approaches to the study of consciousness. Early chapters deal with a range of ideas about our nature, and suggest that mind can usefully be viewed as a type of dynamic landscape. The account shows how our minds relate to their societies, brains and bodies and how they differ from computers. Later chapters develop a theory of the basis of consciousness (SoS theory). Using the physical concept of 'broken symmetry' the author shows how conscious mind may be rooted in temporality; a view that is supported by the occurrence of a wide range of amalous phemena. Potentially valuable future lines of research are identified. This is a unique and engaging book that will appeal to students and academics in the field of consciousness studies and other readers with an interest in consciousness.
- Author BiographyChris Nunn is a retired Consultant Psychiatrist, who used to work in association with the Medical School at Southampton University, UK. He has been Associate Editor of the Journal of Consciousness Studies for the past fifteen years.
- Author(s)Chris Nunn
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication20/10/2015
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight176 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.51
- AU $21.38Trending at AU $22.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.