All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.86
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
About this product
- DescriptionThe New England states are home to many long and proud cultural traditions, including the practices of indigeus Northeast tribes, the legacy of Puritan settlers, the Portuguese coastal communities, Maine's Acadian population, and many other spheres of influence. The historical paintings of John Trumbull, the Cape Cod house, the locally set work of John Irving and Stephen King, Celtic and French-Canadian music, lobstermen and maple syrup culture, the Southy accent and the Curse of the Bambi-all these things and countless more have contributed to region's identity. Thirteen topical essays from leading scholars provide a detailed and fascinating overview of the cultures of New England. States include Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. The Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Regional Cultures is the first rigorous reference collection on the many ways in which American identity has been defined by its regions and its people. Each of its eight regional volumes presents thoroughly researched narrative chapters on Architecture; Art; Ecology & Environment; Ethnicity; Fashion; Film & Theater; Folklore; Food; Language; Literature; Music; Religion; and Sports & Recreation. Each book also includes a volume-specific introduction, as well as a series foreword by ted regional scholar and former National Endowment for the Humanities chairman William Ferris, who served as Consulting Editor for this encyclopedia.
- Author BiographyMICHAEL SLETCHER hold a Ph.D. in history from the University of Cambridge, where he has taught colonial American history. He is Assistant Editor of the Benjamin Frankin Papers at Yale University and has published articles on colonial America and early modern Britain.
- Author(s)Michael Sletcher
- Date of Publication30/12/2004
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleThe Greenwood Encyclopedia of American Regional Cultures
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1061 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.