All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionNew Harmony Then and Now is a photographic and historic celebration of two of America's great Utopian communities located in New Harmony, Indiana. The Harmonists, started by George Rapp, labored to provide physical, intellectual, and spiritual wealth for its members. Ten years later, the Owenites, founded by Robert Owen and his partner William Maclure, settled there, intent on improving humanity through invations in social theory, educational systems, and discoveries in natural science. Though Owen's communal experiment would t endure, a new social frontier prospered. Today, New Harmony remains a haven of promise, a village that hors its progressive heart. Intellectuals as well as artisans are drawn to this place of science and spirit.
- Author BiographyDarryl D. Jones is a photographer whose work has been exhibited in New York, Boston, and throughout the Midwest. He is author of Amish Life: Living Plainly and Serving God (IUP, 2005) and (with Norbert Krapf) Invisible Presence (IUP, 2006). Donald E. Pitzer is Professor Emeritus of History and Director Emeritus of the Center for Communal Studies at the University of Southern Indiana in Evansville.
- PrizesWinner of Winner, 2012 Communal Studies Association Publication Award.
- Author(s)Darryl D. Jones,Donald E. Pitzer
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication03/11/2011
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note48 halftones, 120 color illus.
- Weight1134 g
- Width267 mm
- Height216 mm
- Foreword byJane Blaffer Owen,Connie Weinzapfel
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.