New Kabuki Encyclopedia: A Revised Adaptation of Ukabuki Jiten by Samuel L. Leiter (Hardback, 1997)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $105.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $175.43+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKabuki has been a part of Japanese culture for nearly four centuries. The plays performed today are generally selected from a classic repertoire that gradually ceased to develop once Japan broke the chains of its isolationist policy and began the surge toward Westernization. The plays largely reflect the values of feudal Japan, and they portray a world of ble samurai overcoming evil adversaries, adulterous lovers overcoming their dilemmas through double suicide, parents sacrificing their children in the name of loyalty to a superior, and children giving up their lives for the sake of their parents. Productions typically contain spectacular sets, elaborate costumes, and colorful makeup. Though kabuki is so essential to the heritage of Japan, it still remains largely a beautiful mystery to the West. This reference book is a comprehensive guide to the fascinating world of kabuki. An extensive revision and expansion of the 1979 Kabuki Encyclopedia, this volume is the most comprehensive guide to Japan's kabuki theatre in any language other than Japanese. The present volume includes many new illustrations, a lengthy and detailed index, thorough cross-referencing, greatly expanded descriptions of plays, an extensive bibliography of English-language and Japanese sources, and more than 400 new entries. A major feature is the inclusion of Japanese characters for all main entry terms, titles, and names. The entries are arranged alphabetically, and the volume's appendices include a chrological table of kabuki history, a list of all major or formal play titles, a list of all variant or popular titles, genealogical charts, and a list of all major actors' stage nicknames (yago) currently in use.
- Author BiographySAMUEL L. LEITER, Professor of Theatre at Brooklyn College, CUNY, and the Graduate Center, CUNY, has been editor of Asian Theatre Journal since 1992. He is the author or editor of ten previous books, including the three-volume The Enyclopedia of the New York Stage, 1920-1930 (1985), 1930-1940 (1989) and 1940-1950 (1992), From Belasco to Brook: Representative Directors of the English-Speaking Stage (1991), and From Stanislavsky to Barrault: Representative Directors of the European Stage (1991), all published by Greenwood Press. His articles have appeared in publications such as Literature East and West, Educational Theatre Journal, Drama Survey, Theatre History Studies, Players, Theatre Crafts, and Asian Theatre Journal. He is also an actor and director.
- Author(s)Samuel L. Leiter
- Date of Publication30/07/1997
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteillustrations, bibliography, index
- Weight1321 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.