New Left, New Right and Beyond: Taking the Sixties Seriously by Palgrave Macmillan (Hardback, 1999)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $187.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $116.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe 1960s represented a defining turning-point in the politics and cultures of western societies. The emergence of a mass culture, the explosion of pop and new art forms, the rise of 'new-left' social movements in the wake of the events of 1968, and the first signs of a more global politics brought into question long-held assumptions. The articulation of new ideas of liberation, equality and identity and the arrival of the so-called cultural revolution combined to remake new forms of community. But what of the lasting political and cultural legacies of the sixties? In this, the first book to take the long-term legacy of the sixties seriously, the focus is on the varied and paradoxical nature of this crucial decade. Focusing mainly on the British and American context, this collection of essays brings together leading thinkers across a variety of disciplines to address a range of new perspectives on the impact of the New Left, the experience of the New Right and on how the sixties continue to influence contemporary debates on globalization and democracy. Arguing that the full implications of the 'long sixties' are still t fully realized, the book will open up new directions in the study of contemporary political ideas and movements.
- Author BiographyGEOFF ANDREWS is Senior Lecturer in Politics at the University of Hertfordshire; Associate Lecturer, The Open University; Editor Citizenship (Lawrence and Wishart 1991); and co-editor Opening the Books: essays on the social and cultural history of British Communism (Pluto Press 1995). RICHARD COCKETT is Lecturer in History at Royal Holloway College, University of London. He is author of Thinking the Unthinkable: Think-tanks and the Economic Counter-Revolution 1931-83. ALAN HOOPER is Senior Lecturer in Politics, University of Hertfordshire, and author of essays on modern British history and contemporary Brazilian politics. MICHAEL WILLIAMS lectures in Politics and Public Policy at the University of Hertfordshire and elsewhere. Before then he spent twenty years as a civil servant in what is now the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions. He has published papers on privatisation and the role of management consultants in shaping public policy.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication19/05/1999
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight430 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byAlan Hooper,Geoff Andrews,Michael Williams,Richard Cockett,etc.
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.