All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionReminding us that all media were once new, this book challenges the tion that to study new media is to study exclusively today's new media. Examining a variety of media in their historic contexts, it explores those moments of transition when new media were t yet fully defined and their significance was still in flux. Examples range from familiar devices such as the telephone and phograph to unfamiliar curiosities such as the physiogtrace and the zograscope. Moving beyond the story of techlogical invation, the book considers emergent media as sites of ongoing cultural exchange. It considers how habits and structures of communication can frame a collective sense of public and private and how they inform our apprehensions of the real. By recovering different (and past) senses of media in transition, New Media, 1740-1915 promises to deepen our historical understanding of all media and thus to sharpen our critical awareness of how they acquire their meaning and power. ContributorsWendy Bellion, Erin C. Blake, Patricia Crain, Ellen Gruber Garvey, Lisa Gitelman, Geoffrey B. Pingree, Gregory Radick, Laura Burd Schiavo, Katherine Stubbs, Diane Zimmerman Umble, Paul Young.
- Author BiographyLisa Gitelman is associate professor in the Departments of English and of Media, Culture, and Communication, at New York University. She is the coeditor (with Geoffrey B. Pingree) of New Media, 1740-1915 (MIT Press, 2003) and the author of Scripts, Grooves, and Writing Machines.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/2004
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleMedia in Transition S.
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note42 illus.
- Weight476 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byGeoffrey B. Pingree,Lisa Gitelman
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.