All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.84Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionNew Media and Religious Transformations in Africa casts a critical look at Africa's rapidly evolving religious media scene. Following political liberalization, media deregulation, and the proliferation of new media techlogies, many African religious leaders and activists have appropriated such media to strengthen and expand their communities and gain public recognition. Media have also been used to marginalize and restrict the activities of other groups, which has sometimes led to tension, conflict, and even violence. Showing how media are rarely neutral vehicles of expression, the contributors to this multidisciplinary volume analyze the mutual imbrications of media and religion during times of rapid techlogical and social change in various places throughout Africa.
- Author BiographyRosalind I. J. Hackett is Professor of Religious Studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. She is editor of Displacing the State: Religion and Conflict in Neoliberal Africa. She is President of the International Association for the History of Religions. Benjamin F. Soares is an anthropologist and Chair of the research staff at the Afrika-Studiecentrum in Leiden, The Netherlands. He is author of Islam and the Prayer Economy: History and Authority in a Malian Town.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication21/01/2015
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight599 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byBenjamin F. Soares,Rosalind I. J. Hackett
- Foreword byFrancis B. Nyamnjoh
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.