All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an important guide for survivors, caregivers, and families that experience the devastating effects of stroke or brain injury.The number one cause of disability in the United States is due to stroke/ brain injury. Every forty five seconds someone suffers a stroke. The statistics are even higher for traumatic brain injury, and are reaching record proportions daily, as a by-product of the two wars America faces, with Afghanistan and Iraq. From a layperson s perspective, the author, Pam Papas, shares her kwledge and recent experience as her husband, Chris, miraculously survives an extremely large brain hemorrhage. She engages you in her well documented journey, as she creates a healing atmosphere for his recovery. She reminds us of the importance of words and thoughts we share to comfort each other. Because, it s often through the generosity of those that listen those that understand your plight, that we are rescued. Just the right word at the right moment carries its own healing power. Each chapter provides a Best Practices section of strategies that were employed during her husband s recovery, or learned from his process. She carefully guides you through the wide range of emotions associated with stroke, and encourages your endurance. While the majority of the chapters are dedicated to the care of the survivor, she also addresses the caregiver and family needs to nurture their own trauma as well. The guide is t a medical book, instead it embraces the gap between medical science, healing and recovery. This is a story of faith, hope and endurance. A much needed resource, for caregivers, families and survivors of stroke or brain injury. The book is designed for easy reading, and the author will capture your attention from that critical moment of the injury, throughout the process of creating New Normals Reclaiming a Life of Significance.
Reviews and Endorsements:
Pam Papas offers deep insights and practical advice for health care professionals and individuals facing the complex demands of stroke and brain injury. She weaves hard science and personal experience into a compelling narrative, using a clear writing style to communicate advanced ideas. As a physician and as one whose family has been touched by the ravages of stroke, I have more than a passing appreciation for this fine work.
-Prof. Dr. Frederica D. Muller, M.D., Psy.D, Ph.D., Certified Mediator, Diplomate of Alternative Medicine, Diplomate of Forensic Medicine, Diplomate Traumatic Stress.
Not only, a practical therapy and care guide needed by so many, but also a testimony of a wonderful victory of love, optimism and faith over dramatic life circumstances. Thank you for making me a part of your successful struggle, Pam.
-Marzenna Schoeneich, M.D. Board Certified -Internal Medicine, Dr. Schoeneich's Medical Office, Glen Ellyn, Illiis
Truly a book for caregivers, survivors and professionals alike! Finally, a key has been offered to unlock the mystery of survival straight from the heart of a survivor. Chris is thing short of a Miracle man who is surrounded by a Miracle family!
-Bethanie J. Freeman, MS. CCC-SLP, Haver, PA.
- Author(s)Pam Papas
- PublisherPapas Press LLC
- Date of Publication19/03/2009
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPapas Press LLC
- Weight211 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15