New Orleans Streets: A Walkers Guide to Neighborhood Architecture by Stephanie R. Bruno (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.41Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $25.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne block at a time, this guidebook offers an experts perspective on the architectural diversity and details of New Orleans unique neighborhoods. A walk through the streets of the city takes one down brick sidewalks and past the ancient Creole cottages in the Vieux Carre, stately townhouses in the American Sector, Garden District center-halls, and ubiquitous shotguns. The walker passes along avenues lined with homes draped in the ornamentation typical of the Greek Revival, Italianate, and Craftsman styles, and through neighborhoods distinguished by milled brackets, arched-top windows, and clean, horizontal lines. New Orleans is a city of extraordinary variety and style, and this volume enables the casual tourist and lifelong resident alike the opportunity to walk down her blocks and appreciate the extraordinary architectural backdrop. With authority and verve, architectural historian and popular columnist R. Stephanie Bru guides each reader through the brightly colored and diverse streets of New Orleans as she explores step by step the architectural details of the houses and the individual choices their owners have made to change each one during the course of revations. In each neighborhood, Bru highlights variations in architectural details and identifies elements of each house, allowing readers to recognize different architectural styles and even decide what type of house they would most like to inhabit. Organized geographically, each of the twenty-two chapters begins with a brief history of the neighborhood described. For each block included, characteristic landmarks, a description of the homes, and a conversational anatomy of the block portion, including anecdotes and revation observations, give readers the sense of walking down the street. Colorful photo collages of the homes along with maps allowing easy identification of the areas complete this architectural tour of New Orleans.
- Author BiographyAn architectural historian and preservation consultant, R. Stephanie Bruno is a contributing writer for the New Orleans Times-Picayune, where she writes about New Orleans neighborhoods in the column StreetWalker. She lives in New Orleans in an Italianate center-hall cottage that has been in her family since the 1940s.
- Author(s)Stephanie R. Bruno
- PublisherPelican Publishing Co
- Date of Publication18/01/2011
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationGretna, LA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPelican Publishing Co
- Content Note450 colour photos & 28 color maps
- Weight417 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.