All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThe ex-slave, Krio population of Freetown, Sierra Leone - an amalgam of ethnicities drawn from several parts of the African continent - is a fascinating study in hybridity, creolization, European cultural penetration, the retention of African cultural values, and the interface between New World returnees and autochthous populations of West Africa. Although its Nigerian connections are often ackwledged, insufficient attention has been paid to the indigeus Sierra Leonean roots of this community. This anthology addresses this problem, while celebrating the complexities of Krio identity and Krio interaction with other ethnic groups and nationalities in the British colonial experience.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Mac Dixon-Fyle received his Ph.D. in history from the School of Oriental and African Studies of the University of London. He has published articles on the Plateau Tonga of Northern Rhodesia/Zambia and is the author of A Saro Community in the Niger Delta, 1912-1984: The Potts-Johnsons of Port Harcourt and Their Heirs and co-author of Sierra Leone at the End of the Twentieth Century: History, Politics, and Society (Peter Lang, 1999). He is Professor of History at DePauw University in Indiana. Gibril Cole received his Ph.D. in history from the University of California, Los Angeles, where he teaches African history. He is also Visiting Associate Professor of History at Pitzer College in Claremont, California. Cole has also taught at the University of California, San Diego, San Diego State University, and California State University, Long Beach. His research interests include the development of Krio society and the Krio diaspora, and the role of Muslims in the making of the Atlantic world.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies, Series 9: History
- Series Part/Volume Number204
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2006
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Notemaps
- Weight640 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byGibril Raschid Cole,Mac Dixon-Fyle
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.