All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionFeminist literary critics have long recognized that the vel's marriage plot can shape the lives of women readers; however, they have largely traced the effects of this influence through a molithic understanding of marriage. New World Courtships is the first scholarly study to recover a geographically diverse array of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century vels that actively compare marriage practices from the Atlantic world. These texts trouble Enlightenment claims that companionate marriage leads to women's progress by comparing alternative systems for arranging marriage and sexual relations in the Americas. Attending to representations of marital diversity in early transatlantic vels disrupts nation-based accounts of the rise of the vel and its relation to the marriage plot. It also illuminates how and why cultural differences in marriage mattered in the Atlantic world - and shows how these differences might help us to reimagine marital diversity today. This book will appeal to scholars of literature, women's studies, and early American history.
- Author BiographyMELISSA M. ADAMS-CAMPBELL is an assistant professor of English at Northern Illinois University.
- Author(s)Melissa M. Adams-Campbell
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication03/12/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDartmouth College Press
- Content Note2 illus.
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.