All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFeminist literary critics have long recognized that the vel's marriage plot can shape the lives of women readers; however, they have largely traced the effects of this influence through a molithic understanding of marriage. New World Courtships is the first scholarly study to recover a geographically diverse array of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century vels that actively compare marriage practices from the Atlantic world. These texts trouble Enlightenment claims that companionate marriage leads to women's progress by comparing alternative systems for arranging marriage and sexual relations in the Americas. Attending to representations of marital diversity in early transatlantic vels disrupts nation-based accounts of the rise of the vel and its relation to the marriage plot. It also illuminates how and why cultural differences in marriage mattered in the Atlantic world - and shows how these differences might help us to reimagine marital diversity today. This book will appeal to scholars of literature, women's studies, and early American history.
- Author BiographyMELISSA M. ADAMS-CAMPBELL is an assistant professor of English at Northern Illinois University.
- Author(s)Melissa M. Adams-Campbell
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication03/12/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDartmouth College Press
- Content Note2 illus.
- Weight431 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.