All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOnce a center of transatlantic cultural exchange and the avant-garde arts, New York City has transformed into a global metropolis. This book traces a shift that took shape as cultural practices and media underwent dramatic changes: it takes us from modernist visions of urban sublimity to post-modernist cityscapes; from Hart Crane's Brooklyn Bridge to the Flushing Meadows fairgrounds; from Mina Loy's poetics to Klaus Nomi's transgressive musical performances and Jem Cohen's multimedia experiments; from Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver and the Magnum Photos portfolio to post-9/11 cinema and the photo blogs of the internet age. As we visit these urban spaces and dreamscapes, we enter territories that remain contested, dynamic locales in a city that keeps unfolding its transformative force.
- Author BiographySabine Sielke is Chair of North American Literature and Culture and Director of the North American Studies Program and the German-Canadian Centre at the University of Bonn. Her research ranges from US-American poetry and poetics to the crossroads between cultural studies and the sciences.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication05/12/2015
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleTranscription Cultures Concepts Controversies Kulturen Konzepte Kontroversen
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationBern
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight400 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited bySabine Sielke
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.